Thursday 21 February 2013

A Disaster of a challenge



One of my personal challenges is films with natural disasters as the main theme. Riding on the back of the Tsunami film The Impossible I thought this might be a fun challenge to do.  I mean there’s 2012, The Day After Tomorrow and Deep Impact, although all rather cheesy, they are big budget offerings of natural disasters; plus I do own two of them. 
 



However that was where the fun stopped, as much as I enjoyed The Impossible, my search for “new” films didn’t really turn up anything decent. I came across quite a few low budget made-for-TV films which all looked terrible. I did find one Chinese film; Aftershock which shows the 1976 Tangshan earthquake and is only a couple of years old, so that is worth buying.



There is also the 1974 Earthquake starring Charlton Heston and Ava Gardner, but even this film doesn’t inspire me in this challenge. After watching Post Impact starring Dean Cain, which is a truly horrible TV film, poor script and even poorer acting, throw in some terrible CGI and it was just disastrous viewing. 
 

Poseidon has been suggested as well, but I don’t really see that as a natural disaster, although it’s a rogue wave capsizing an ocean liner; it’s not a major disaster like the Tsunami of 2004, a major earthquake or a massive solar flare which is going to destroy Earth!

So I’m left to watch films I’ve seen before, which include; Knowing, Seeking a Friend for the end of the world and Armageddon. I’ve got 9 films worth watching I think, maybe I’ll stumble across a couple more, but I doubt I will be that lucky! I really can’t see myself getting past the 15 films required for the challenge. I’ll just be glad when this is over!






No comments:

Post a Comment