Friday 15 March 2013

The March IMDB 250 Challenge - Half Way

So the month's challenge was to see the first 15 films on the IMDB 250 list which I hadn't seen. A challenge I wasn't really looking forward to doing, seeing old films just isn't my thing; that said I've loved every minute of it!

Paulette Goddard in Modern Times.
Never a Chaplin fan, always a big Lloyd fan; I have to  hold my hands up and say Chaplin was a genius. Apart from City Lights which was excellent, I also watched The Great Dictator and Modern Times, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed. They also introduced me to the wonderful Paulette Goddard.

So far I've managed 10 films out of the 15, so I can't see myself failing this challenge. They have all been worthy films though, and ones I am glad I have now seen. 4/5 is the lowest score any film as acheieved from me, again showing the quality of these films, and why they are in the top 250.  My other films include 12 Angry Men, Schindler's List, Sunset Boulevard, M, Double Indemity, To Kill a Mockingbird and the infamous Taxi Driver. (Yep! I had never seen Taxi Driver). From these my favourites are 12 Angry Men, the Chaplin films, M, Double Indemnity and To kill a Mockingbird.

Alongside this challenge I've had a number of visits to the cinema, and picking up a couple of surprise personal challenges along the way; Broken City ended up being a film for my P.I challenge. Then Fire with Fire and Parker both went towards my righteous challenge. I also returned to Cloud Atlas because it was a film worthy of a 2nd viewing, if not even a third one; though I only saw it twice. It does contain my favourite score, there are some amazing pieces, the highlight being The Cloud Atlas Sextet. How this was overlooked for an Oscar is beyond me!


Talking of soundtracks - Rob has created a superb score for the film Maniac, I caught this again at Grimmfest with another film 247F which wasn't very good at all. Maniac was and I will be catching it again at Cineworld Bolton in the next week.

Stoker I was disappointed with and ended up sticking it on my watch again list, beautiful to look at, listen too and I enjoyed the performances but it lacked something; or I was expecting more. Another couple of decent cinema films were, Robot & Frank and Side Effects. Though the more I've thought about Side Effects the more I thought it was very good and not excellent; as I first thought. Robot & Frank is rather good though and well worth catching. One quick mention to the worst film I've seen this month and that's The Guilt Trip. For a comedy it wasn't very funny at all.

As for the rest doing the project, Steve has seen 4 films; 12 Angry Men, Taxi Driver, Once Upon a time in the west (on my list as well) and City Lights. Martin has managed 3 films; 12 Angry Men, Modern Times and City Lights. As for Tony - no idea!



No comments:

Post a Comment